(We will add to this page with other families costs as they become available).
14 Week Trip..
Marie and family spent 14 weeks on the road and covered over 22,000km. In the family are 2 adults and 2 kids aged, 13 and 10 years.
They travelled in an Isuzu MUX towing an outback Jayco Expanda.
This was their trip...
Money spent in total for the 14 weeks was $16,276.19 for absolutely everything! This averaged to $1162.59 per week.
Broken down to:
- Fuel $3921.45 (ave $280.10pw) (most expensive $1.94per litre at kings canyon.) cheapest $1.10! Average Fuel consumption at 12.6L/100km.
- 2 Services, 4 AT tyres on the car and 2 AT tyres on the caravan. (No
flats just needed changing) 1 caravan battery plus charger and other car
- Site fees (caravan parks, national parks camp fees etc) $3067.59 (Ave $219.11pw) we free camped when we could.
- Fun stuff (boat trips, national parks, meals out, takeaway, coffees, etc.) $4094.30 (ave $298.02 pw)
- Groceries Incl alcoholic drinks $3151.27 (ave $225.09pw)
So hope this gives you an idea if it's doable or not. They covered a lot
more Km's than most in a short period of time so if you do less KM's
that's less fuel bringing the average weekly costs down!
We hope this helps you too.
We also have a Finance Trip Tracker to help you to track your own expenses - Grab a copy here.
12 Month Trip
The Great Escape Australia have been using our Finance Tracker to keep a track of their spending and this is where they were at after 1 year on the road. They often post their spending, so do follow them on Facebook for their updates.
Total accommodation cost: $4170 ($79/wk)
- Caravan parks: 161 nights
- Free: 174 nights (66 with family/friends & 44 in staff accommodation)
- National parks/low cost camps: 60 nights
- B&B: 1 night for a special occasion
Total fuel cost: $4868 ($93/wk)
- Approx. 28,000 kms + a few more driving other peoples cars when we flew home to Melbourne for a visit.
- 3862 litres of fuel in the Triton - Roughly 16L/100km
Groceries: $7663 ($146/wk).
- We ain't living off noodles.
Phones: $1949 ($37/wk).
- This includes 2 mobile phone plans on Telstra & Boost and 1 Sat phone which is $15/month.
Car/trailer insurance/rego + ambulance cover + breakdown cover: $2457 ($47/wk).
- Ambulance victoria cover is $89/yr,
- RACV total care is $225/yr. Both essentials as far as I'm concerned.
So that's $402/week or $57/day for essentials only. But of course it's
not that simple - we want to have some fun too, and unfortunately things
can go wrong sometimes as well (or in the case of our car things can go
wrong a lot!).
So here is EVERYTHING ELSE:
Maintenance & Improvements: $11,134 ($214/wk).
This is the big one. Some of our car expenses include:
- a new turbo, a
- 2 new windscreens,
- 2 new batteries,
- a few services & 4
- Plus we've added a few things, and made some modifications to
our whole set up along the way. For example: a portaloo + chemicals,
shower tent, 12v shower, a stretcher bed for the kid, a second solar
panel, and 3 new fans (the fan saga is ongoing. We currently own 4. But
that's another story). And let's not forget the gas refills and all the
visits to Bunnings/Bursons/Supercheap Auto/Repco etc etc.
Health insurance & health expenses: $6579 ($124/wk). The other big
one. Our private health insurance costs $256.50/month. Do we need it? We
debate this constantly and always decide yes, so we still have it. Plus
in the year we have been away we have had 2 surgeries in the private
system which both had out of pocket expenses. But both of these
surgeries would have required long waits in the public system and I'm
not sure how that would have fitted into our travels. Plus of course
there is your usual doctors visits and medication expenses. While living
on the road is undoubtedly good for your health it doesn't make you
Alcohol: $1220 ($23/wk).
Entertainment: $1271 ($24/wk).
This includes tourist things + occasional daycare days to keep our child happy when we're stopped in one place for work.
Eating out: $2471 ($47/wk).
Maccas, takeaway coffees, pub meals, & rather a lot of Bunnings sausages.
Presents home: $2456 ($48/wk).
People don't stop having babies or birthdays or getting married just
because you're away. And Santa still has to find you. God this one adds
Laundry: $243 ($5/week).
'Other': $4213 ($80/wk).
This includes 2 lots of return flights to Melbourne, 2 new phones (bad
luck in that area too!), sunglasses, clothes, replacement underwear
after it got stolen off the line... all the other random uncategorized
stuff. Which also adds up real quick.
Plus Renee has some expenses related to work (Nursing) like union fees & professional development/courses.
All up we're looking at about $1000/wk. Which is more than we'd hoped
but because we work along the way it's been manageable. And on that
Disclosure: Throughout our site there may be some affiliate links. If you click them, we may
get a small commission for your purchase but this is at NO additional cost to you.
You get an something you want and we get to keep the lights on here at TAWK. #worksforbothofus Thanks for your Support of us supporting you :)
TAWK accepts no liability for any situations arising from using suggestions on the TAWK Site.